Thursday, June 08, 2006

Day Lilies Are Delicious

Day lily flowers are edible. I've heard about this before, but I never tried eating one until today. They don't especially look edible to me. Maybe it is the color. I wondered if it was all a hoax, and I'd soon be in the emergency room getting questioned. "What? You ate day lilies!? Based on something you read on the internet? Couldn't you tell just by looking at them how horribly poisonous they are?" That sort of thing.

But the truth is, not only are day lily flowers edible, they are delicious. They taste sort of like sweet lettuce, but better. All these years that I've been growing them and not eating them, I really missed out.

4 comments:

Random Michelle K said...

Okay. I'll wait for you to post again, to make sure you didn't die a horrible death before trying it myself. Cuz I've got LOTS of daylilies.

Unknown said...

One day later, I am fine. You really should try it. Eat a few of the flower petals. They are good.

clara* said...

get OUT! i thought they were poisonous. no really someone told me that when i was a kid.

LeesMyth said...

I ate day lily petals back in the 1980's, and lived to tell about it.

However, you should know that my grandmother -- who told me they were edible -- is no longer with us. After a lifetime of eating day lilies, she died in her 70's.