Sunday, June 11, 2006

Falls Creek Falls



On Saturday, we went on a hike to Falls Creek Falls, in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest in Washington. I love the name, though I'd like to call it "the Falls at Falls Creek Falls, now with 10% more Falls!" The name Falls Creek probably comes from the fact that it makes a fairly steep descent through the forest and has a mini-waterfall every 10 meters or so. About 1/2 mile down the trail there is a small suspension bridge, with the cables underneath the bridge instead of above it -- an unusual design. It bounced when I walked across it.



But the big waterfall is the real treat. I have seen higher waterfalls, but I think this is one of the most beautiful waterfalls I've ever seen. It sits in the middle of the forest like a magical apparition. I thought it was like something out of The Lord of the Rings, and I almost expected to see Gollum fishing in the pool at the base of the waterfall.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee whiz. I've been to the Gifford Pinchot National Forest a zillion times (literally!), but have never hiked where you have. Did you make it a day trip or an overnighter?

The way you're written the sentence makes it sound like you love the name "Gifford Pinchot." (You do know that the final t is silent, don't you?)

Unknown said...

> a zillion times (literally!)

I literally laughed myself to death when I read that.

> The way you're written the sentence makes it sound like you love the name "Gifford Pinchot."

I meant that I love the name "Falls Creek Falls." But the name "Gifford Pinchot" is pretty great, too.

> Did you make it a day trip or an overnighter?

Just a day trip. It's a rather long drive, but worth it.

Starbuck said...

Love the sound from the video.

Happy Tomb Raider 3 holiday memories!