Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Learning in the Car

I've gotten hooked on the Portable Professor Series of audio CDs. Each set is a series of college lectures on a single subject, and the choice of subjects ranges from the American Revolution to the Bible. I've also tried listening to audio books in the car, but these lectures seem more engaging, because they were designed for listening, rather than being written content read aloud. Each lecture lasts about 30 minutes, so I can listen to one lecture per day's commute. I'm currently listening to the series about the American Presidency in the 20th century, but my favorite so far was the series on ancient Rome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you're ever willing to give books-on-tape another try, I highly recommend listening to Stephen Jay Gould's (http://www.stephenjaygould.org/) natural History essay collections.(Bully for Brontosaurus, Dinosaur in a Haystack, etc.) You can rent 'em from Books On Tape or probably borrow them from your library.

I'll have to check out the portable professor series--I like listening to non-fiction books on tape, so that sounds like just my thing. (Of course I don't have the time for listening that I used to since I changed jobs, but it's still good for long car trips.)

Michelle