Monday, October 24, 2005

The iPod Audio Tour

While I was in New York I went to MoMA, and I had downloaded into my iPod some of the unofficial audio guides by Art Mobs. The ones I listened to were great, but I was not prepared for how funny they were -- more like stand-up comedy than a traditional museum audio tour. So while looking at Picasso's Les Demoiselles D'Avignon, though everyone else in the room was standing quietly with that "hmm . . . I am in the presence of very famous art" look on their faces, I had my headphones on and was laughing out loud every 10 seconds. I like the idea of people making their own audio guides for things.

My copy of one of Picasso's bulls is above. I had no audio tour commentary for this one, but my girlfriend quipped, "even with his most abstract one, he still makes sure we realize it's a bull." I decided not to take my camera along, but I had a notebook so I made a few sketches.

2 comments:

clara* said...

ok tom here's you reward for my little pet name game:

There once was a boy named Tom,
Who rarely got it wrong,
Sure it seemed like he did,
Who’s he trying to kid?
But I just love life anime drawn!

Anonymous said...

I hope iPods revolutionize museums the way your experience suggests. What a cool idea.

There's a theme to your latest posts: your inability to stay serious when convention requires it. Please work on that.