Sunday, June 06, 2004

The Numbers Game

e-Claire notes that Ray Bradbury is upset with Michael Moore for "stealing" his title. That is, Bradbury thinks that Fahrenheit 911 is a "stolen" copy of the title of his book, Fahrenheit 451. Bradbury is quoted as saying, "He stole my title and changed the numbers without ever asking me for permission."

That reminds me of how 12 Angry Men stole the title of Seven Angry Men and changed the number. Nine 1/2 Weeks stole the title of Six Weeks and changed the number. Perhaps most impressively, 1941 stole the title of 1776 and changed the number.

That doesn't even address the sneakier tactic of changing words instead of numbers, like when The Big Lebowski stole the title (and some of the plot!) of The Big Sleep, and changed "Sleep" to "Lebowski." Will the title-thievery never end?

Well, I'd better get back to work on my script for a TV thriller I'm calling 25, about a crisis that takes slightly more than a day to resolve.

1 comment:

Caryn said...

Hee!