Thursday, September 09, 2004

One To Remember

KINGSTON, Jamaica (Reuters) - Half a million Jamaicans were urged to leave their homes in low-lying areas on Thursday as ferocious Hurricane Ivan swept nearer with 150-mph (240-kph) winds after a deadly charge through the Caribbean.

Guess where my brother is, right now, on his honeymoon. That's right, he is in Jamaica. He says that the hotel they are in has a reinforced underground storm shelter. I guess that's where they will be spending the night. I hope he will be safe there. But after the hurricane, how will he get home? Will there still be an airport left to fly from?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My wife and I went to Jamaica for our honeymoon. The airport was way behind the times at the time, so if something catastrophic happens to the airport, they might have to find an alternative route off the island. If the airport is functional, they should be prepared to have their bag emptied at the airport. The Jamaican "security" empties every bag before check-in to examine the contents. I hope things go well for your brother!

Jon